Thursday, March 20, 2008

#11 week 5: Ning, etc.


Web 2.0 is fun... Flickr, Ning, Pandora, Twitter, Craigslist, etc... I need more practical ideas about how to incorporate into library instruction. How are people using them? I can see uses. I have a Ning for my library. I would link it, but it's protected for the sake of the students' presence on the web. I'll put up a screenshot. On my Ning, I have RSS feeds and videos and a photo slide show and discussion questions. I got some initial activity when I first created it and now, not so much.

I would love to create an assignment in collaboration with English classes that required students to post reviews. This would be in conjunction with a lesson in how to write book reviews, etc. It is difficult though to create stand-alone applications that students will use or check out of their own accord. Out comes the marketing skills, but it is sometimes overwhelming to communicate (much less implement) all the great ideas that come with all the new technology. Aaaah, overwhelming at times.

1 comment:

bibliofan said...

Ning is fun, some of the communities are good. My district blocks Ning because of the adult content of some of the communities. Once you sign in you can get to some pretty unsavory stuff and you have to watch the advertising.
I think a blog or wiki is much more useful for students.